[wingide-users] Keybinding problem (from a newbe)

William R. Wing (Bill Wing) wrw at mac.com
Fri Feb 5 10:31:56 MST 2010

Hi all - I'm an absolute newbe to WingIDE - just bought the personal edition (mostly based on the on-line reviews, but also because of the name :-), downloaded it and started working my way through the tutorial.  Immediately ran into a problem:  I can't make the auto-completion keys work.

Intel MacPro, OS X 10.6.2, Apple's Python 2.6.1 and Apple's X11(XQuartz 2.3.4, xorg-server 1.4.2-apple45).  Apple extended USB keyboard.

"Enable Key Equivalents" has been UN-checked in X11's preferences.

Both TAB and ENTER have been selected in "Editor Auto-Completion" window.

Keyboard personality is set to OS X.

As I type in the tutorial, I get the auto-completion pop-up that I would expect, but selecting the proper entry, and hitting the enter key does nothing with it.  I DO get a new line (but no return).  If I double-click the selection in the pop-up, it does auto-complete the code, but without the enter key (or the Return key) being "seen" there is no way to tell the editor to analyze, indent, and so on.

For what it's worth, both the enter and return keys are seen in the Python Shell window, so it would seem to not be an X11 problem.

Presumably a cockpit problem, but I'm stumped.

Thanks,
Bill