[wingide-users] Cygwin Python Issue with Wing IDE

Tom Powers wingusr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 09:51:52 MST 2010

I've noticed a problem that occurs if you happen to install the cygwin
version of python after having installed Wing IDE.

My Wing IDE 3.2.x "Analysis Stats" window normally says something like
C:\python25\python25.exe for Interpreter.

However, after I installed the cygwin version of python everything broke.

Suddenly the "Analysis Stats" window showed the Interpreter to be
"/usr/bin/python <not found>", and a bunch of colon-separated \usr\lib
directories for the Effective Python Path.

I also saw "Python executable cannot be found so must be specified
here" messages when I opened the Project | Environment tab, and I had
to manually specify the Python Executable path for projects that used
to work correctly.

When I tried to debug or restart the Python Shell I'd get a "Could not
start debug process::Could not launch debugger for "C:\Program
Files\Wing IDE 3.2\src\debug\tserver\_sandbox.py".  The python
interpreter "/usr/bin/python" may not exist." error message.

It turns out that the solution is simple. All you have to do is move
C:\cygwin\bin AFTER C:\python25 (or whatever your default python
directory is) in your current PATH.

I hope this information helps others mystified by the sudden
appearance of error messages that mention non-existing unix-style
paths.