[wingide-users] feature request: scan files in background

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Thu Dec 30 18:58:13 MST 2010

On Thursday 30 December 2010, Wingware Support elucidated thus:
> On 12/28/10 3:00 PM, Phil Vandry wrote:
> > Most of the work I do with Wing involves writing code that runs on
> > remote servers. I do this by remotely mounting the filesystem that
> > contains the code on my desktop and working locally on my desktop.
> >
> > Wing does a lot of reading files in the background in order to do
> > its static analysis and to watch files in the project for external
> > changes. If my Internet connection becomes briefly congested, these
> > file accesses start to take a long time and pretty soon the GUI
> > stops responding. Worse, the file accesses appear to get backlogged
> > and make the situation worse.
> >
> > I think it would be really cool if Wing did its static analysis and
> > checked the project files for changes in a separate thread so that
> > the GUI wouldn't be affected by this.
>
> Hi,
>
> Wing does do the analysis in the background in a way that should not
> hang up the GUI.  If you're using Wing 4.0beta5 you are probably
> running into known performance issues that we are working on
> resolving.  If you have another version, please let us know.

I have also found (in the past, haven't tested recently) that if your
connection gets congested, Wing may appear to hang when it checks if
the file has been modified on disk, since that is a blocking operation.
My work-around was to set the check interval to something like 60 or
120 seconds.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK