[wingide-users] Wing IDE 4.0 beta5 released: Adds Refactoring and Find-Uses

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Tue Dec 14 09:08:28 MST 2010

On 12/13/10 6:31 PM, Ken Kinder wrote:
> Right, if there are too many tools, you have to scroll them. Having
> icons in the tabs would reduce the amount of space each tab takes up.
>
> Another possibility would be that instead of scrolling between tabs, you
> could list the overflow in a drop down menu, like what Firefox does.

Agreed that these both would be improvements.

> Alternatively, if there were a perspective that came and went based on
> whether you were actively refactoring, it could hide those tools when
> you're not in "refactor mode."

I think people could define such a perspective if they want, but don't
think it's a good default model.  Refatoring operations are in some
sense higher level edit functions and probably should always be
available when editing code.

>> This is a general problem, though; find uses&  refactoring are no
>> different than other tools.  I suspect that people will either be used
>> fairly often (I rely on find uses to find just about anything at this
>> point) or hardly at all.
>>
> It is. It's just that more tools makes it more of a problem.
>
> I'm still not sure how often I'm going to use either. Uses seem useful,
> but I'm still a little skeptical that given the dynamic nature of a lot
> of Python code, WingIDE will really find all the places I use a symbol.

I encourage you to try it out and see what it misses.  If you enable
"Show unlikely matches", find uses is essentially equivalent to a
case-insensitive whole word search over all python files in a project
that excludes matches in comments and strings.

Cheers,