[wingide-users] Wing IDE 4.0 beta5 released: Adds Refactoring and Find-Uses

Ken Kinder kkinder at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 16:31:57 MST 2010

On 12/13/2010 04:00 PM, Wing IDE Support wrote:
> Do you mean that you can't see all the labels at once if there are too
> many of them?  I generally remove the tools that I don't use so all
> the ones that I care about are visible.  Having an option for icons
> would help in this case.

Right, if there are too many tools, you have to scroll them. Having
icons in the tabs would reduce the amount of space each tab takes up.

Another possibility would be that instead of scrolling between tabs, you
could list the overflow in a drop down menu, like what Firefox does.

Alternatively, if there were a perspective that came and went based on
whether you were actively refactoring, it could hide those tools when
you're not in "refactor mode."

> This is a general problem, though; find uses & refactoring are no
> different than other tools.  I suspect that people will either be used
> fairly often (I rely on find uses to find just about anything at this
> point) or hardly at all.

It is. It's just that more tools makes it more of a problem.

I'm still not sure how often I'm going to use either. Uses seem useful,
but I'm still a little skeptical that given the dynamic nature of a lot
of Python code, WingIDE will really find all the places I use a symbol.