[wingide-users] idea: numpad as "go to line"

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Fri Dec 3 12:20:56 MST 2010

On 12/3/10 1:21 PM, Phil Vandry wrote:
> On 2010-12-03, at 10:54 , Wing IDE Support wrote:
>> On 12/3/10 8:41 AM, Lukasz Michalski wrote:
>>> It would be easier for me to use numpad keyboard instead. I don't use
>>> numpad for anything anyway and I think the most programmers don't use it
>>> too.
>>
>> You could try binding goto-line to the key of your choice in the
>> Custom Key Binding preference.
>
> Would this really work? The numeric keypad keypress has to not only
> invoke the goto-line function but supply the first digit of the desired
> line number.

I took the request (wrongly, I think) as asking whether the 5 on the
numeric keypad could be bound to goto-line.  Automatic goto
functionality is a bit more interesting and would need an option to turn
it off because there are almost certainly people who use the numeric
keypad to enter numbers into files.

It's an interesting idea, but not one that we have time to implement
right now.  It might be done through a script, but I think it wouldn't
be entirely straightforward.

Cheers,

John

FWIW, I also don't regularly use a keyboard with a numeric keypad these
days.