[wingide-users] idea: numpad as "go to line"

Phil Vandry vandry at TZoNE.ORG
Fri Dec 3 11:21:33 MST 2010

On 2010-12-03, at 10:54 , Wing IDE Support wrote:
> On 12/3/10 8:41 AM, Lukasz Michalski wrote:
>> It would be easier for me to use numpad keyboard instead. I don't use
>> numpad for anything anyway and I think the most programmers don't
>> use it
>> too.
>
> You could try binding goto-line to the key of your choice in the
> Custom Key Binding preference.

Would this really work? The numeric keypad keypress has to not only
invoke the goto-line function but supply the first digit of the
desired line number.

If simple binding does NOT work, then it sounds like a job for a
binding to a script:

KP_1 is bound to a function that memorizes the digit 1
...through...
KP_9 is bound to a function that memorizes the digit 9
KP_Enter is bound to a function that assembles the memorized digits
and goes to that line number.

(Using #include <X11/keysymdef.h> conventions for the names of the keys)

It sounds like a good idea and I would be tempted to try to implement
it with such a script... if only I used a keyboard that had a numeric
keypad (which I don't, I use a HHKB) and if only I didn't have an
alternative goto-line method that my fingers know how to do
automatically since a long time (which is colon + line number + enter
in vi mode).

-Phil