[wingide-users] Moving project settings from .wpu to .wpr?

Russell Warren russ at perspexis.com
Tue Aug 24 15:13:06 MDT 2010

> It is possible to set up projects that share more things by setting
> proj.shared-attribute-names in the .wpr file w/ a text editor.
>
> This would get you the same as the default:
>
> proj.shared-attribute-names=['proj.shared-attribute-names',
> 'proj.directory-list', 'proj.file-list', 'proj.file-type', 'proj.main-file',
> 'testing.test-file-list', 'testing.auto-test-file-specs',
> 'testing.test-framework']
>
> This would add in proj.pyexec:
>
> proj.shared-attribute-names=['proj.shared-attribute-names',
> 'proj.directory-list', 'proj.file-list', 'proj.file-type', 'proj.main-file',
> 'testing.test-file-list', 'testing.auto-test-file-specs',
> 'testing.test-framework', 'proj.pyexec']
>
> Others can be added as well, of course.
>
> We may eventually expose some way of doing this from the GUI, although it
> is relatively rare that someone asks for this.

This is perfect, thanks!  I think editing the .wpr file directly is totally
fine and adding it to the GUI would be overkill.  What would probably
suffice is some quick verbage in the documentation for shared project files
explaining that this is possible.

Just to be clear... proj,shared.attribute-names did not yet exist in the
.wpr file.  When I added this:

proj.shared-attribute-names=['proj.shared-attribute-names',
                             'proj.directory-list',
                             'proj.file-list',
                             'proj.file-type',
                             'proj.main-file',
                             'testing.test-file-list',
                             'testing.auto-test-file-specs',
                             'testing.test-framework',
                             'proj.pyexec']

Wing accepted it, persisted it on save, and proj.pyexec magically appeared
in the .wpr file.

Awesome.

Russ