[wingide-users] More vi mode

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Aug 20 09:49:33 MDT 2010

Michael Hipp wrote:
> If I'm editing a line like below...
>
>   init_sizer = wx.StaticBoxSizer(init_box, wx.HOR)
>
> If I place the cursor on that last 'R' and hit 'cw' to finish it out
> the cw not only gobbles up the 'R' it also takes the ')'. That last
> part was unexpected. Such punctuation should not be considered part of
> the word. I've verified that vim on my Ubuntu box leaves the ) there.

It seems to be an issue specifically with the case where the caret is on
the last character of a word.  In that case it's consuming the next word
also for some reason.  It consumes the correct characters if the caret
is on the O instead.  I'll look into fixing this.  Thanks for reporting it.

> More on this ... if the cursor happens to be on a char that is the
> last char on the line, the cw also gobbles the newline (effectively
> doing a Join). Very disorienting and not at all normal vi.

This is a side effect of the fact that in Wing you can put the cursor
past where vi allows it.  It seems to work correctly for me if I have
the cursor on top of the ), which is the rightmost position vi would
allow it while in browse mode, assuming no trailing spaces.  We have
some code that tries to keep the caret in valid positions but it's hard
to do this correctly.  I'll see if we can improve it, however, possibly
just by preventing cw from consuming the line end.