[wingide-users] Small nit with vi o

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Aug 19 14:38:26 MDT 2010

Michael Hipp wrote:
> In Python there is pretty much never a case where the line after a ':'
> terminated line would begin in the same column. Vi, in typical default
> setup, does what Wing is doing now (places the cursor on the newly
> opened line under the first char of the previous line). But Vi is very
> configurable so it's hard to argue that one way is correct or not.
>
> However, in my Wing settings I have 'auto indent always' selected so I
> expected it to do what is best for Python and indent the next line.

That's probably the solution -- respect this preference.  I still need
to think about this some more and dig out the original bug report (from
some month ago).  My impression at the time was that we were just plain
doing the wrong thing, but it sounds like that wasn't the case.  I agree
that a change like this away from something that people want shouldn't
happen in a point release (or at all, preferably).  I plan to issue
another patch to address this, but probably not until tomorrow.

Downgrading to 3.2.9 is a work-around for now.

Thanks for the feedback,