[wingide-users] Small nit with vi o

David Niergarth dn at hddesign.com
Thu Aug 19 13:57:46 MDT 2010

> Stephan Deibel:
> Michael Hipp wrote:
> > When I type this and placed the cursor on that line:
> >
> >     if foo:
> >
> > When I hit 'o' it opens the line as expected but the cursor lands
> > directly under the 'i' instead of indented. Does the same on a
> > 'class' or 'def' line. I don't think it used to do this.
>
> Yes, I believe the original bug report was that o and O didn't match
> what vi does because we were auto-indenting rather than copying the
> existing indent on the line you started on.  You can get the
> auto-indentation (assuming default Tab Key Action preference) by
> pressing Tab after 'o'.  It's possible this is an area where
> different vi users will disagree on what we should be doing.

I also think the lack of indent is new behavior since 3.2.10 and would
much prefer to see the old behavior. I've never had to type tab after
class, if, while, etc. Nothing else has changed for my Wing install
except upgrading to 3.2.10. Whether or not some vi users would
disagree, I don't think existing behavior shouldn't be changed like
this.

Thanks,

--David