[wingide-users] Including a library in your project?

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Tue Aug 3 20:20:38 MDT 2010

Michael Hipp wrote:
> Hello, just wondering what everyone considers "best practices"?
>
> I have library "projects" that my main project depends on. I spend a
> lot of time in both in Wing. What's the best way to manage this?
>
> 1) Include the far-flung library directory as part of the Wing project.
> 2) Make a symlink from the Wing project dir to the library dir.
> 3) Run multiple instances of Wing.
>
> I've been doing #3 but it's getting tedious flipping back and forth.
> Plus I can't see library code side-by-side with project code.
>
> What are you all doing?

I include the libraries in the project and set up the Python Path so
they are found.  I find it most convenient just to be able to use and
edit the libraries conveniently as I run into any problems or missing
features with them, and I can always overview any changes and check them
in selectively in the version control tool.  Their tests also show up
separately in the Testing tool and I can use the filter to select just
those that I want to work with.

However, I should note that usually my library directory isn't far flung
so the project view's contents is manageable.  I've used symlinks in
some cases where they library was further away.

- Stephan