[wingide-users] Including a library in your project?

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Tue Aug 3 17:14:08 MDT 2010

On 8/3/2010 5:56 PM, Michael Foord wrote:
> On 03/08/2010 23:54, Michael Hipp wrote:
>> Hello, just wondering what everyone considers "best practices"?
>>
>> I have library "projects" that my main project depends on. I spend a
>> lot of time in both in Wing. What's the best way to manage this?
>>
>> 1) Include the far-flung library directory as part of the Wing project.
>> 2) Make a symlink from the Wing project dir to the library dir.
>> 3) Run multiple instances of Wing.
>>
>> I've been doing #3 but it's getting tedious flipping back and forth.
>> Plus I can't see library code side-by-side with project code.
>>

> 4) Create a virtualenv, install your dependencies into that and then
> launch Wing *with* the virtualenv active (from the command line).
>
> Does that do what you want? Typically you aren't editing your
> dependencies at the *same time* as your project, right?

I'm using a VE and I think installing these libraries into the VE would make it
worse, not better. But, yes, I'm editing both at the same time. If it were just
a simple question of *calling* the libraries that's much easier. My question is
about including them in the *Wing* project, not the *Python* project.

Michael