[wingide-users] Backing up Wing settings

Jonathan March JDM at MarchRay.net
Wed Apr 21 21:53:01 MDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Wing IDE Support <support at wingware.com>wrote:

> On 4/19/10 2:22 PM, Jonathan March wrote:
>
>> FWIW when I migrated Wing from Win XP to Win 7, using the copy of the
>> preferences file was fairly straightforward. As I recall, though, it did
>> have a lot of system-specific file paths scattered throughout. It would
>> be handy if path references were consolidated more... perhaps more use
>> of relative paths? not sure the best solution but just wanted to mention
>> since the topic came up.
>>

> You can always use a text editor to edit the preferences file.  I don't
> think relative paths would help except when the name specified is also in
> the settings directory.  Do you recall any of the specific paths that you
> needed to change?

I don't remember the specifics, and of course I did use a text editor to
finish the process, and that went fine, but I remember being struck by the
contrast with the extremely friendly and smart settings export/import in
Beyond Compare (including, as I recall, a dialog with checkboxes for each
type of setting, whether it should be exported / imported or not.)
Thanks!