[wingide-users] alt keystrokes, menus, and readline

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Wed Apr 21 14:42:50 MDT 2010

On 4/21/10 4:06 PM, Mitchell L Model wrote:
> I'm on OS X. I never use keystrokes to drop down a menubar menu, only
> shortcuts for menu actions themselves. I get tripped up by typing
> option-something when it drops down a menu instead of doing what it does
> in the rest of my environment -- in particular, of course, in Emacs.
> Specifically, I want opt-p to be equivalent to uparrow in the Python
> Shell, Debug Probe, etc.

I assume you've set up the global alt preference to be option because
you wouldn't get the menus otherwise.  By default, nothing is bound to
alt-p in the emacs mode, but you can bind something to it in the
keyboard preferences and that binding will take precedence over the menu
binding.  Note that alt-f is bound to forward-word by default so it
won't bring up the file menu.

Wing binds the arrow keys or ctrl-n / ctrl-p to history traversal in the
shell and debug probe, so you could also bind alt-p to previous-line.

Cheers,