[wingide-users] A bug in debugging shelved dictionaries

David Taylor taylor234 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 20 15:39:22 MDT 2010

I just thought I'd get this up on the list. I ran into a problem when
debugging programs that use large (100,000-entry) dictionaries stored using
the shelve module. The symptoms were that doing *anything* in the debugger
-- bringing up the stack view, entering a command in the probe window, or
even single-stepping the code -- had a delay of 20-30 seconds. Stephan found
the problem very quickly and gave me a patch that elminates it temporarily
until he can put a permanent fix in an upcoming release of Wing. If anyone
is using large shelves & finds the debugger getting sluggish, holler & I'll
post the work-around.

Also -- to clarify an earlier comment. When I said " I found using wxpython
under Wing so painful that I just gave up on that particular project", that
had nothing to do with Wing & everything to do with me wandering around in
the dark in a large & complex package. I just missed the flashlight Wing
usually gives me ;-D.