[wingide-users] Running freely in debug

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Thu Apr 8 13:50:00 MDT 2010

On 4/8/10 3:28 PM, cool-RR wrote:
> What do you mean, start debugging? When I press debug, the code will run
> from start to end and then terminate, not keeping the objects in memory.
> I could understand Mike's hack and that might be what I'll use, but is
> there a more standard way?

Mike is correct that the way to keep a process alive is to set a
breakpoint; then you can use the debug probe and other debug tools to
examine it's state.  I tend to set breakpoints before or after something
interesting occurs (usually new or suspected buggy code).  If I think
everything works, I'll run with no breakpoints but still in the debugger
so it's available if an exception is raised or I decide to set a
breakpoint while the program is running.

At least in my usage, stopping at the end of a program isn't a common
enough use case to warrant a way to do it other than setting a breakpoint.

Cheers,