[wingide-users] Feedback on Perspectives in 3.2.2

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Oct 30 09:36:03 MDT 2009

Ken Kinder wrote:
> I've been enjoying the improvements in the latest version of Wing. I
> have some more feedback on the Perspectives tool, now that it's becoming
> more powerful and is something I anticipate using:
>
>   * In the perspectives manager, it isn't clear what the "Set As
> Current" button and the "Refresh State" actions do. I might assume that
> "Set As Current" takes the current GUI layout and SETS it in the
> selected perspective name. Similarly, "Refresh State" might be
> interpreted as doing the opposite of what it does. I would use common
> language like, Load, Save, and Save As.

OK, I can see this is confusing.  "Refresh State" replaces the stored
state for the current perspective with the current state of the GUI.
"Set As Current" makes the currently selected perspective in the
dialog the current perspective in the GUI and sets the GUI's state
to match its stored state.  I'll try to clarify this.

>   * I read in the changelog that there is now a way to set certain
> states to debug, however I had to read the documentation to find out
> that this is enabled from the PROJECT menu. (I looked and looked in the
> Perspective Manager.)

Good point.  I'll add it to the perspectives manager also.  I think we do
want this to be a per-project setting, though.

>   * I had set up my states assuming that I would flag one as debug, and
> the other as editing. Naturally, I created an "editing" state and a
> "debugging" state. Upon enabling this feature, I was informed that
> another "Edit" perspective had been created. I then had to actually
> start debugging in order to FIND the debugging state. I would like to be
> able to tell WingIDE what "triggers" there should be in switching
> between states. As it stands now, I have two editing and two debugging
> perspectives: One of each created by me, one of each created by me. And
> I'm not 100% how to edit what tools are available in what perspective.

You should be able to use Set As Current to set your previously added
perspective's state into the GUI and then click on the Wing-created
state and use Refresh State to move that state into it.  Do this with
both and then remove the ones you created.

I don't like how the states are bootstrapped either and will try to
fix this with a dialog that allows selecting (or creating) debug/edit
state when auto-perspectives are turned on the first time for a
project.  Note that the transition is always to debug perspective
when starting to debug but when stopping it restores whatever the
previous perspective was, which may be something other than edit.

Thanks for the feedback!