[wingide-users] Remote debugging

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Nov 10 11:57:00 MST 2009

Eric Pavey wrote:
> I'm fairly new to the whole concept of remote debugging, and I think I'm
> encountering a "bug", so I'd like to get others thoughts on it:
>
> I work in the 3D app Autodesk Maya.  It has Python as a scripting language.
> So basically, after I break out of debugging in wing, I need to restart
> both apps before I can remote debug again.  Talking to the engineering
> staff here, they say "that's not right", but they're not familiar enough
> with wing or Maya to provide me with help on the subject.  Any thoughts
> about how to make it so I don't have to constantly restart both software
> programs?

Because of how Maya sets up the interpreter, be sure to set kEmbedded=1 in
your copy of wingdbstub.py and use the debugger API to reset the debugger
and connection as follows:

     import wingdbstub
     if wingdbstub.debugger != None:
        wingdbstub.debugger.StopDebug()
        wingdbstub.debugger.StartDebug()

Note that in some cases you may need to add a short delay between the
StopDebug and StartDebug calls, using something like:

     import time; time.sleep(1)

Please let me know whether or not this helps.