[wingide-users] Difference between Debug I/O and normal execution output

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Nov 4 11:42:45 MST 2009

Krishna Sandeep Reddy wrote:
> I am using a package called pyswip which is bridge between python  and
> swi-prolog. It has some issues with 64-bit machines and give
> segmentation fault with some stuff (especially int).
> When I run a program that uses pyswip from wing it gives segmentation
> fault. But when I run in debug mode from wing it works fine and shows
> correct output. What is the difference between Debug I/O and normal
> run wrt 64-bit processing? Or is it the way Debug I/O handles the
> output?

That's a difficult question to answer as it could be just about anything.

You could try to see if it crashes if you enable the Debugger / I/O / Use
External Console preference.  That would at least rule in/out whether I/O
has anything to do with it.  You could also try whether the Debugger / I/O /
Debug I/O Encoding preference has any effect.

It could also be a thread invocation order issue, if you are using threads.

In general, it's not entirely uncommon that debuggers can mask problems
like this.  Despite trying very hard to make a minimal impact on runtime
environment, there are many subtle differences.