[wingide-users] Launching two instances of WingIDE on Mac OS X Leopard

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue May 12 20:27:02 MDT 2009

Brian Gilman wrote:
> This is with WingIDE professional 3.1.8-1 (rev 19913), with XQuartz
> 2.3.2 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple31), running under Leopard 10.5.6
>
> I'm current trying to debug a client server app on OS X.  It would be
> useful to be able to debug both the client and the server at the same
> time.  I've tried debugging them both within the same project( which
> didn't work, and caused strange problems ), and debugging within
> two separate projects( which doesn't cause strange problems, but I can
> only debug one at a time).
>
> I've tried launching two instances of WingIDE, but launching the second
> one has no effect, I still end up with only one instance.
>
> Is there a way to launch two separate instances?  or is there a better
> way to debug client server apps that I am overlooking?

Currently Wing can only debug one process at a time.  You can launch a second
instance of Wing from the command line like this:

/Applications/WingIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/wing --new

(this assumes you've got Wing installed in /Applications/WingIDE.app; this
may of course vary on your system)

You can then launch the client from one and the server from another instance
of Wing and debug both.

Please let us know if this doesn't help.