[wingide-users] Set 'main' file from context menu

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Mar 19 08:10:25 MDT 2009

Michael Hipp wrote:
> Wingware Support wrote:
>> I removed it from the project context menu thinking that cases like yours
>> would be covered by not setting a main debug file at all and just letting
>> Wing debug the current file and/or using the Debug Recent menu in the
>> Debug
>> menu.
>>
>> If those don't cover your case, please let us know.  I think having
>> this in the project context menu was somewhat of a GUI design mistake,
>> but it may be we need another way to do this if Debug Recent isn't
>> helpful.
>
> Thanks. I definitely believe it doesn't meet my use case.
>
> Here's my scenario: I'm trying to refactor / create / test some feature.
> So I create a file that activates that feature by whatever "shortcut" I
> can cobble up to force it to run. Once the "test" file is created all
> the work is then done in files scattered across the project and its
> subdirs.  The "test" file may be the only thing I run for a few hours or
> days until I'm done with it. But I'm not editing it much so "run current
> file" doesn't help.

Just to beat this to death:  Would it be better if you had some sort of
debug launch tool?  I have been thinking about doing that also as a way
to better manage multiple launch configurations for the same file (for
example sending different parameters to it) among other things.  You
would be able to set up your debug entry points in that tool and just
click on them to select one to launch.  There would be also a way to
set main debug file here.

In any case, in 3.2 I'll just re-add the project context item.

 > Note that this use case is testing GUI features (wxPython specifically)
 > so this isn't a function of unit testing and I don't think that feature
 > set is applicable.

As an aside I'll just note that we do our GUI testing also via the unit
testing tool and I don't think unit testing has to necessarily omit
gui testing code.

Thanks for clarifying your use case!