[wingide-users] Use two # symbols when commenting out a region

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Jun 24 08:29:09 MDT 2009

Hello all,

 From the IDLE mailing list (the final text is from Guido van Rossum):

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/idle-dev/2009-June/002766.html

 >>> Why does IDLE use two hash marks for comments (##)? Most other editors
 >>> (Geany, SPE) use a single hash mark (#) to designate comments.
 >>>

 >> I actually don't know. I find that it's rather useful since I usually
 >> use the commenting function to comment out blocks of code, and having
 >> these commented with "##" differentiates them from comments which I
 >> write manually.
 >>

 > +1 this is exactly how I use it.

And this is how it's meant to be used. Quickly comment or uncomment a
section of code. Invaluable.

PS. Emacs does this too. I think there it was invented by Tim Peters.
It is done so that the auto-indent functionality *ignores* the
indentation of comments starting with ##, but assumes that comments
starting with #+space are meant to align up properly with the
surrounding code. (I don't know if IDLE uses this rule too.)

Personally I like this behaviour and would like to see it in Wing.

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog