[wingide-users] Source Assistant not as helpful as it could be

Mark Jones mdjones0978-wingide at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 15:22:57 MDT 2009

When my code looks like

        grid = wx.FlexGridSizer(

the source assistant shows __init__ as expected

when I add
        grid = wx.FlexGridSizer( 0
it changes to
  Symbol: 0
    Actual type: Integer Literal
typing , so that the code looks like
        grid = wx.FlexGridSizer( 0,
restores the help for __init__
and so on, until we close the parens and the code looks like this
        grid = wx.FlexGridSizer( 0, 2, 0, 0 )
at which point the only way to see what __init__ takes as arguments is to move the cursor to the point I can't type, back into the word FlexGridSizer

Slickedit is a little more sane about this in that until I hit a dot, I don't get source help on the thing the cursor is on, I get help on the enclosing parens/function call.

so that the Source Asst info for FlexGridSizer is displayed until I do something like
        grid = wx.FlexGridSizer( x.

In fact, it appears that the source assistant stuff is triggered by the . at all times, meaning I can't get Source Asst help on x without deleting and retyping the .

This behavior is much better than the Wing behavior of not helping me when I need the help.

Mark Jones