[wingide-users] html code folding

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Jun 22 09:13:43 MDT 2009

RommeDeSerieux wrote:
> Is it possible to make Wing IDE understand HTML when folding the code?
> The problem is, HTML 4.01 Strict allows me to omit closing and/or open
> tags for some elements, and this confuses Wing: when i try to collapse
> a fold it created, it collapses everything, as if it couldn't find the
> end tag.

The folding is implemented at a fairly low level (in the lexer code that
is part of the Scintilla code editor widget) so there's no way currently
of adding a deeper understanding for HTML without modifying that code.
I've added this to our list of issues w/ folding.

Scintilla is open source so you can see the file that's responsible for
determining folding structure and syntax highlighting here:

http://scintilla.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/scintilla/scintilla/src/LexHTML.cxx?view=log

(Just in case you have a deep enough understanding of this aspect of HTML
4.01 Strict to submit a patch ;-)