[wingide-users] Seeing msgs generated by exceptions

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Jun 9 13:19:40 MDT 2009

Agosta, John M wrote:
> I notice that exception error messages generated when I run a script at the prompt don't appear in the Debug I/O window when I debug the script.
>
> At the prompt I get this:
> File "c\Pyhon26\lib\copy_reg.py", line 70, in _reduce_ex
>      raise TypeError, "can't pickle %s objects" % base.__name__
> TypeError: can't pickle file objects
>
> In IDE I see the stack calls that generated the Exceptions, but not the error msg. Unfortunately in this case, the Stack Data browser will not show the local vars, e.g. I can't inspect base.__name__

What version of Wing are you using?  I was unable to reproduce this in 3.1.8 or 3.2 beta1
using the following code:

import pickle
import sys
s = pickle.dumps(sys.stdout)

It does include the "TypeError: can't pickle file objects" in the Exceptions
tool.

The missing locals() may be related if something more general is going wrong.
If this is reproducible, please set the Debugger / Advanced / Debug Internals
Log File preference and collect a log of a run that shows this.  Sending also
the IDE-side log w/ a bug report from Wing's help menu may also be useful.

Note that using the Debug Probe to look around is a work-around if you're
using Wing Pro.