[wingide-users] unicode problem?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Jul 20 04:04:22 MDT 2009

Charles Hartman wrote:
> I have a text-manipulation app that works fine with normal text
> files.  If the user wants to use a Word file, the app requires that it
> be saved as straight text first.  (I am not trying to convert from
> undocumented Word format!)
>
> Now I'm trying to use it with non-English, non-Roman text (modern
> Greek, in fact).  I can't get as far as testing whether the app itself
> will deal properly with this text, because I can't find a way to make
> the text available as "straight text."
>
> In Word I can open save the file as UTF-16 or RTF.  Either of these
> displays properly in BBedit.  Neither of them (nor the UTF-8 versions
> with or without BOM that I can make with Save As from BBedit) will
> display properly in my app.
>
> So aside from the quirks (to be kind) of Microsoft Word, it seems
> likely that I'm doing something wrong in my app with regard to Unicode
> strings.  I'm using the Unicode version of wxPython for my GUI, I
> think I'm treating all strings as Unicode within the app . . .
>
> In other words, I don't know where to look.  Maybe I should be posting
> this to the Pythonmac-SIG list instead?  I don't even know that.
> Thanks for any advice!

It certainly doesn't seem like a question for the Wing IDE mailing list!
comp.lang.python or wxPython mailing lists would probably be the places
you are most likely to get help.

Saving as RTF will only be useful if you have a UI component capable of
displaying RTF data.

In order to help people will need to know the code you use to get the
string (open and read the file) and the code you use to display it -
plus the results (a screenshot of what happens perhaps).

All the best,

Michael Foord

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/