[wingide-users] unicode problem?

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sun Jul 19 21:58:15 MDT 2009

I have a text-manipulation app that works fine with normal text
files.  If the user wants to use a Word file, the app requires that it
be saved as straight text first.  (I am not trying to convert from
undocumented Word format!)

Now I'm trying to use it with non-English, non-Roman text (modern
Greek, in fact).  I can't get as far as testing whether the app itself
will deal properly with this text, because I can't find a way to make
the text available as "straight text."

In Word I can open save the file as UTF-16 or RTF.  Either of these
displays properly in BBedit.  Neither of them (nor the UTF-8 versions
with or without BOM that I can make with Save As from BBedit) will
display properly in my app.

So aside from the quirks (to be kind) of Microsoft Word, it seems
likely that I'm doing something wrong in my app with regard to Unicode
strings.  I'm using the Unicode version of wxPython for my GUI, I
think I'm treating all strings as Unicode within the app . . .

In other words, I don't know where to look.  Maybe I should be posting
this to the Pythonmac-SIG list instead?  I don't even know that.
Thanks for any advice!

Charles Hartman