[wingide-users] Request help in finding & keeping the focus & cursor

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Thu Jul 16 08:41:23 MDT 2009

Jonathan March wrote:
> 1. Sometimes it is quite difficult to determine which editor or tool has
> focus. The tab for the top file or tool in each panel has the same
> colored edge strip whether or not that panel has focus.
> It would help if the tab which has focus was more vehemently colored
> (perhaps the whole tab, not just the edge strip.)
> It would also help if that panel's border was emphasized, or some other
> method used to quickly draw one's gaze to the panel which has focus.

This is properly a theme issue and different themes may do things
differently but we may be able to do something to help here -- perhaps
bold the title of the tab if it as the focus.

> 2. One reason that I sometimes lose track of which panel I'm in is that
> pressing "escape" from a tool panel causes it to lose focus and an
> editor panel to gain focus. But there are other reasons to press escape
> from a tool panel, like dismissing a pop-up selection list. If one
> inadvertently presses escape again, one is lost. I would appreciate an
> option to disable this function of the escape key.

We'll look into adding this option.  BTW, escape works this way as an
easy way to get back to the editor.

> 3. In an related issue: it can be difficult to find the cursor within an
> editor. Some (other) editors have an option to place a very thin border
> around thecurrent line. I find this useful.

The line the caret is on may be highlighted via the caret line highlight
preference (in Editor -> Caret) in Wing 3.2.

Cheers,