[wingide-users] GoogleAppEngine: ZipImportError with Wing on Windows

Nelson Minar nelson at monkey.org
Thu Jul 9 18:46:41 MDT 2009

I'm trying to get Google AppEngine's SDK working inside WingIDE, following
the directions at http://www.wingware.com/doc/howtos/google-app-engine.
Unfortunately I'm not getting very far. Everything works fine from my
Windows Vista command line, but when I try to launch inside Wing I get the
following error:

google.appengine.dist.py_zipimport.ZipImportError: Non-file
'c:\\Users\\Nelson\\Documents\\src\\achievements\\appengine\\google_appengine\\lib\\yaml\\lib\\yaml'
found for
'c:\\Users\\Nelson\\Documents\\src\\achievements\\appengine\\google_appengine\\lib\\yaml\\lib\\yaml'

Has anyone seen this error before? Alternately, anyone recently having a
good experience running dev_appserver with Wing on Windows? It'd help to
know if this is working for someone else.

I tried debugging this on my own. There's only one reference to this
error<http://groups.google.com/group/pylons-discuss/browse_thread/thread/524ddd3cbb50030c>I
could find online and it's not much help. I gather AppEngine has some
complex module loading / import code of its own (py_zipimport.py) which may
be causing part of the problem. I'd ask Google, but figured I should start
here since the problem only shows up inside Wing.

My environment: Vista64 with python.org Python 2.6 installed, GAE version
1.2.3. Wing IDE pro 3.1.8.

Full strack trace:

File
"c:\Users\Nelson\Documents\src\achievements\appengine\google_appengine\dev_appserver.py",
line 60, in <module>
  run_file(__file__, globals())
File
"c:\Users\Nelson\Documents\src\achievements\appengine\google_appengine\dev_appserver.py",
line 57, in run_file
  execfile(script_path, globals_)
File
"c:\Users\Nelson\Documents\src\achievements\appengine\google_appengine\google\appengine\tools\dev_appserver_main.py",
line 483, in <module>
  sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
File
"c:\Users\Nelson\Documents\src\achievements\appengine\google_appengine\google\appengine\tools\dev_appserver_main.py",
line 400, in main
  SetGlobals()
File
"c:\Users\Nelson\Documents\src\achievements\appengine\google_appengine\google\appengine\tools\dev_appserver_main.py",
line 84, in SetGlobals
  from google.appengine.tools import appcfg
File
"c:\Users\Nelson\Documents\src\achievements\appengine\google_appengine\google\appengine\tools\appcfg.py",
line 47, in <module>
  import yaml
File
"c:\Users\Nelson\Documents\src\achievements\appengine\google_appengine\lib\yaml\lib\yaml\__init__.py",
line 2, in <module>
  from error import *
File
"c:\Users\Nelson\Documents\src\achievements\appengine\google_appengine\google\appengine\dist\py_zipimport.py",
line 92, in __init__
  raise ZipImportError(msg)