[wingide-users] Can't get Wing IDE to work with Zope3

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Jan 13 08:31:52 MST 2009

Roger Erens wrote:
> do you have some updated instructions available for using Wing IDE with
> a Zope3 instance that was created in a buildout process (in my case,
> Grok is being used)?

It sounds like z3wingdbg won't work, but you may not really need it either.
Wing can scan the main file created by buildout (w/ sys.path changes) to
determine what the PYTHONPATH should be, so you should be able to debug by
setting that file as the Main Debug File in Wing (open it and use Set Current
as Main Debug File in the Debug menu).  Doing that will also allow Wing to
find modules so that auto-completion works in more cases, and it should allow
you to just Start Debug from Wing to get your Zope3 instance running in
Wing's debugger.

This does mean that you will be debugging all of the Zope3 instance (starting
from line 1) whereas z3wingdbg would debug only invocations to a certain "debug"
http port (which is why it was creating a separate twisted server).  But most
likely that is fine for most things.

Note that you may also need to set some of the Project Properties -- such as
pointing Wing to the right Python Executable to use (presumably the one that
comes w/ Zope3, or that Zope3 was built against).

Please let me know if that doesn't help.