[wingide-users] Suggestions for editor tabs

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Jan 12 08:39:03 MST 2009

Michael Hipp wrote:
> I'd like to suggest a couple of improvements for the editor tabs:
>
> - When two edit windows are open (i.e. after a 'Split Side by Side') I'd
> like the notebook tabs to be independent. A different set of tabs for
> each pane.
> I tend to keep certain tabs open on left and certain ones on right. Aids
> in the brain remembering a spacial position for each file.

We may make this change in the future.  It's on our list along with related
improvements such as re-orderable tabs.

> - Provide some selectable limit on the number of tabs that can be open
> at one time. Either a) a hard set limit of no more than X tabs can be
> open at once; or b) no more tabs than will fit above the editor pane can
> be open at once (i.e. all must be visible). When too many have opened
> the oldest one would automatically drop out of the list.

I'm hoping we can instead make it work better so although there are more
files open than visible tabs it (a) shows you the most recent tabs in
preference, and (b) makes it easier to switch to a non-visible tab.

Thanks for the suggestions,