[wingide-users] About the Chinese Charset.

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Jan 12 08:01:48 MST 2009

ÍòÐÂÓî wrote:
> Hi, all
> I'm a Chinese, and like WingIDE very much. WingIDE is a very good and
> powerful development tool for python.
> However, It has a little shortcoming, which is that the source code
> editor can't display the Chinese charset correctly.
> Although We could solve the question by change the source code font, the
> source code was displayed hideously.
> The ide's source code default font is 'courier new' which is a beautiful
> font, but its encoding seem not to be utf-8.
> How can I modify source code encoding to display the Chinese charset
> correctly?

The issue is not encoding of the file(s) but whether the font has the
Chinese glyphs (and, apparently, how well those glyphs are rendered).
I suspect you have some other font that may do a better job, although
the best I can do is just to say to try others since I don't know or
use Chinese.

Perhaps some other user here could suggest a specific font to try?

Note that the choice is probably also impacted by what OS you are

We'll try to improve Wing's choice of default font in the future.