[wingide-users] Testing out extending Wing IDE

Stephen Hansen apt.shansen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 16:14:01 MST 2009

Hi all.

I'm currently using TextMate for all my work but have sorta been longing for
a "real" IDE a bit for the day job work, but in order to switch and buy Wing
IDE Pro there's certain things I want to be sure I'll be able to do with the
extensibility.

Namely, some workflow automation and bazaar integration -- but I'm not
asking for Wingware to actually provide bazaar support. I only do a subset
of bzr tasks and do them in a very specific way, so am more then happy to do
that integration myself. If the API can support what I need.

The first thing I'm working on is a "branch" command; for this I want it
show me a list of current branches/trunks that I have downloaded, and let me
type in a name of a branch to make from the selected existing one. That's
easy enough. But what I want it to also do is create a new project for this
branch that I'm working on. The way I end up working on this, its better for
me if each branch was its own project.

That I'm running into problems with. Like so:

    app.ExecuteCommand("new-project")
    app.ExecuteCommand("save-project-as", "/dev/projects/%s.wpr" %
(destination,))

save-project-as on the command documentation doesn't say that it takes any
arguments, and with trial and error it doesn't appear to accept one.

Now, since my next question was -- "How best would I go about creating a new
project from an old one?" I'm wondering if I should approach this as a
non-API problem... and just create a _template.wpr and copy it as a physical
file when I make a branch and then just open it that way.

The rest of the workflow stuff I need seems to be pretty easy; some bazaar
merges back and forth between specific branches, and some
merge-commit-push's chained together in a single command to send the changes
back to corporate, etc.

Thanks in advance.

--Stephen