[wingide-users] Suggestions to prevent Indentation Errors

Tom Stambaugh tms at zeetix.com
Sat Feb 14 09:36:54 MST 2009

DON'T EVER ATTEMPT TO MIX TABS AND SPACES IN THE SAME FILE!!!!!

This is the most important rule of Python indentation for beginners.

I prefer spaces over tabs, but that's more a matter of personal
preference -- *so long as you are consistent*.

Wing has great support for switching back and forth, and does a great
job of letting you know when you're dealing with a file that attempts to
mix them. While a file is open, be sure to pay attention to the
"Source->Current File Properties..." dialog, in addition to the
"Edit->Preferences...->Editor->Indentation" setting.

You can make life easier for yourself by ensuring that the "Show
Whitespace" property is turned on (checked) in the
"Edit->Preferences->Editor" window. That lets you see whatever is
actually in your source.

I strongly encourage you to leave auto-indent *on*, until you become
more proficient in Python.

Thanks,
Tom