[wingide-users] problems on OS X

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Feb 12 08:32:16 MST 2009

Gary Robinson wrote:
> I decided to demo Wingware IDE for a couple of days. So far I've had three problems:
>
> 1) After quitting yesterday and restarting today, the font size for all windows and dialogs became far too tiny to be readable. It was fine the first time I ran it, yesterday. Anyone know how this could have happened? How do I fix it, since I can no longer even read the menu names?

If you haven't already done so and you're using OS X 10.5, you should switch to
the latest XQuartz: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/

However, this also has font size issues because they changed to a different
default pixel size in 2.3.2.1.  That should show the fonts very large
and the fix/work-around for now is to issue this command in an xterm:

defaults write org.x.X11 dpi -int 75

You can also look at the current value of dpi with 'defaults read'.
It may be that somehow this value was altered (although Wing does
not try to set it).

You may also want to check the ~/.wingide3/preferences file to see
if somehow a very small font size got set in there.

In the future, we plan to have Wing adapt font sizes based on the dpi.

> 2) When I was trying to set PYTHONPATH for the tutorial, I was unable to because one of the enclosing directories had a space in the name. The usual techniques surrounding the path in quotes or escaping the spaces with "\" didn't work. I had to put the tutorial in another directory where the path included no spaces. Is there a way around this?

In the Python Path setting in Project Properties, you should just be able to type
the space and it should work.  Note that the path expected there is a string
separated by os.pathsep (':' on OS X and Linux and ';' on Windows).  In the
future we'll probably change this to a list, since that may be less confusing.

> 3) I noticed the problem where WingIDE tooltips bleed through into other apps, but I saw in a note in this mail list that that's a known problem with X Windows on OS X. I hope you're talking to Apple about it though!

This may be solved by the latest XQuartz.  That vastly improves X11 over the
default X11 server that comes w/ OS X 10.5.  However, there are still some issues
like, I believe, some clipboard oddities when switching among windows.  We do
report bugs and try to work with them in understanding/solving them.

Hope that helps.