[wingide-users] Mac user brain lapse.

Luc Bourhis luc_j_bourhis at mac.com
Thu Dec 24 12:16:12 MST 2009

> I'm a bit confused about what works and what doesn't.  I think you've said that wx doesn't work with 64 bit python, at least within Wing, but that the demo app w/ its 32 bit python executable works.

What works: everything 32-bit or everything 64-bit. What does not: a mixture of 32-bit and 64-bit.
Here "everything" and "mixture" refers to the Python executable, Python standard libraries, and wxPython libraries.

The problem is that:
(a) the binary bundles downloadable from the wxPython web site have 32-bit-only wxPython libraries. At the moment, I do not think it is actually impossible to compile 64-bit libraries;
(b) the Python executable and standard libraries are universal 32-bit/64-bit on MacOS 10.6.

Thus
	python some_wxPython_script.py
will launch a 64-bit process which will then try to dynamically load the 32-bit wxPython libraries, and that will fail.

On the contrary, the wxPython demo app launches some_wxPython_script.py with a 32-bit only Python executable. So MacOS 10.6 can only start it as a 32-bit process and then everything runs fine.

> Have you tried running something using wx from the command line?  I ask to try to determine if the issue is Wing or not.  We'll try to help you if we can either way, but the first step is to determine what the issue is.

arch -i386 /usr/bin/python some_wxPython_script.py

works fine and so does

python some_wxPython_script.py

if the "python" executable has been compiled with -arch i386.

>  I ask to try to determine if the issue is Wing or not.  We'll try to help you if we can either way, but the first step is to determine what the issue is.

Wing is not at fault since it straightforwardly starts the system Python executable. That Wing would guess that some 32-bit only Python modules will be loaded at some point seems a bit too much to ask to me!!

Luc Bourhis