[wingide-users] RE: A couple of bookmark ideas...

Ken Kinder kkinder at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 10:29:11 MST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Warren, Russell
<russell.warren at newport.com>wrote:

> I was about to respond to this suggesting that a shortcut to this might
> be to change Wing so that it could have multiple "search in files"
> windows, but I just discovered that Wing can already do that!
>
> Ken: you may be able to accomplish what you want simply by opening an
> additional "Search in files" tab for your refactoring search.  If you
> keep that tab alive I believe it achieves essentially what you are
> after.

I do actually do that too. As well as opening multiple tabs, Wing remembers
your search history.

The scenario I'm thinking of is more one where the search result won't
necessarily go away because I've refactored the code around a particular
line -- I might not be renaming the function, I might be changing its
arguments, for example. Also, I'm thinking of changes that could span a few
days, where I'd rather just have open bookmarks and treat them as a todo
list.

When refactoring I routinely create an appropriate search regex, then
> fix them all one by one, charting my progress as the search hits
> disappear from the hitlist.  The search hits are effectively my to-fix
> bookmarks.  In Wing I would usually try and keep the search-in-files
> search unchanged while refactoring, but inevitably can't and need to
> resort to flipping back through the search history to find my search,
> sometimes getting confused as to how to retrace my steps to what I was
> initially doing after my refactoring (or whatever) has taken me down 12
> different modification branches... I'm sure people know what I mean.

Yes, I do. My use of regular expressions is usually pretty primitive, but
either way, I think actual bookmarks would be handy.

> In Visual Studio I'm a big user of the "Find results 1/2 window" feature
> for improving my mental tracking when straight refactoring is not
> available.  Now that I know Wing can do this as well (and with more than
> 2 windows) I'll likely be abusing this feature as much as I abuse tabbed
> web browsing.
>
> Of course, implementing python refactoring directly would be fantastic,
> although as with other refactoring tools I'd be wary of missed hits and
> likely resort to searches anyway.

I don't think Python's a language that is well-suited to automated
refactoring. Too many projects use too much magic for it to work.

The only really reliable way to do it might be some kind of coverage.py
style runtime inspection, which is itself problematic.