[wingide-users] Feature request: Highlight instances of a selected word

Jonathan March JDM at MarchRay.net
Sat Dec 5 20:32:30 MST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>wrote:

> Wingware Support wrote:
>
>> Oleg Butovich wrote:
>>
>>> Notepad++ has a feature which highlight other occurrences of a word
>>> when I select it.
>>> I think it would be nice feature in Wing IDE as well (makes it easy to
>>> spot where a variable is used for instance) I found it very handy...
>>> and always use some other editor parallel with wing IDE only for this
>>> missing feature... :( I have been addicted to this :) Is it
>>> complicated to add something like this?
>>>

>> It's already on our list to add this, at least to all the search
>> interfaces.  Doing it automatically seems like a good option also.
>> I don't yet know when we'll get to this, however.
>>

> Ouch - I hate search features that automatically highlight all occurrences.
> As an option it would be great though.
>
> Michael

+1
I just watched an Enthought demo (of their powerful Traits package.)
Incidentally, they were using Notepad++ and I saw this feature in action
(when select a word it highlights all other visible occurrences of that
word.) Looked like a very useful option... had me salivating!