[wingide-users] Need help with something very simple

Douglas Mehling douglasmehling at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 4 16:06:18 MST 2009

I am having trouble getting the IDE set up.  I am following the instructions in the tutorial.  I installed Python after installing the IDE, and now I'm trying to point it to the directory where it is installed.  Everything looks right, but it's apparently not working.  The tutorial said to enter the following code into the Python shell in order to print a triangle:

for i in range(0, 10):
  print ' ' * (10 - i) + '*' * i

I enter the code, but I get this error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 2, in <fragment>
Syntax Error:   print ' ' * (10 - i) + '*' * i: <string>, line 211
 Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?  I am using version 3.1.1 of Python.