[wingide-users] Re: Using Wing IDE with IronPython - autocomplete for .NET objects (PI file generator)

Jimmie Houchin jlhouchin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 10:58:07 MDT 2009

Michael Foord wrote:
> Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>> This sounds great. I am new to both IronPython, WingIDE and Windows
>> development in general.
>>
>> One of the disappointing things with WingIDE for me is the total
>> absence of autocompletion of .NET imports
>
> Which is what my script provides. The autocomplete for .NET now in Wing
> is pretty awesome. Once I've added method return type hints it will be
> even better.
>
>> and also the DLL Assembly References I've added to access the
>> libraries my app requires.
>
> What do you mean by this?
>
> The *correct* way to do this with IronPython is by calling
> clr.AddReference yourself.

Yes, I understand.

In my Python script which I am editing in WingIDE I have:

import clr
clr.AddReferenceToFile('interop.mylibrary.dll')
import interop.mylibrary as mylibrary

mylibrary.AutoCompleteDoesNotHappenHere

actually this also is true:

clr.AutoCompleteDoesNotHappenHere

All of the above works great in the IronPython interpreter shell.

>> Unfortunately, for most of what I would like, I believe it would
>> require WingIDE to support the use of IronPython. Is this accurate?
>
> What do you mean by 'for most of what I would like'? Anything in
> addition to the two points above?

No, I am not a WingIDE power-user yet. I am wanting to learn. I've spent
most of my time with Squeak Smalltalk so I do love the power of a good
IDE. But a couple of apps I am writing directly use .NET and also COM
DLLs. IronPython seemed like the best option for writing those apps. One
I have got permission to use ASP.NET MVC and IronPython. Yay! no VB. :)

Primarily at this point what I am missing and not seeing is the
autocompletion for the imported "mylibrary" and "clr" above. I currently
have neither.

I will honestly admit I could easily be doing something wrong. Or I did
not change a preference or add your PI files or something. I would be
happy for that to be the case.

>> And if WingIDE did support the use of IronPython would it make what
>> you are doing easier or possibly unnecessary?
>
> The PI file mechanism is how Wing provides autocomplete - I've just made
> it work for .NET types, so this *is* Wing supporting IronPython. You can
> use Wing scripting to integrate other tools into Wing - see the example
> script I provided for running the current file with IronPython.

Ok, I understand. I need to see how to use your work here. I have only
just yesterday downloaded WingIDE to try. So this is all new to me.

> You might also want to integrate the IronPython debugger that Harry
> Pierson has been working on:
>
> http://ironpython-urls.blogspot.com/2009/04/further-adventures-of-debugger.html

Thanks. I give that a look.

Jimmie