[wingide-users] IronPython diversions

Mark Jones mdjones0978-wingide at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 30 07:34:38 MDT 2009

I'd caution against getting sidetracked with IronPython.  The .NET environment has a very good IDE deeply integrated with their debugger and the .NET framework.  You will never be able to integrate with the underpinnings of .NET as well as MS can because they own the whole stack.

What IronPython can do, is distract you from your core customer base with outrageous demands to be more like VS2008 and do more things that are not Python specific but .NET specific.

Wing is a great IDE if you write Python.  There is still a good bit of work to do on things like environment wide tagging (like EMACS/etags).  There are editor features that are still lacking, you seem to have a list.

I wouldn't get distracted trying to snag the 1 or 2 IronPython folks that will use something other than VS20XX IDE unless those features can benefit the people using regular Python.

Mark Jones