[wingide-users] Re: Using Wing IDE with IronPython - autocomplete for .NET objects (PI file generator)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Apr 30 05:07:07 MDT 2009

Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> This sounds great. I am new to both IronPython, WingIDE and Windows
> development in general.
>
> One of the disappointing things with WingIDE for me is the total
> absence of autocompletion of .NET imports

Which is what my script provides. The autocomplete for .NET now in Wing
is pretty awesome. Once I've added method return type hints it will be
even better.

> and also the DLL Assembly References I've added to access the
> libraries my app requires.

What do you mean by this?

The *correct* way to do this with IronPython is by calling
clr.AddReference yourself.

> Unfortunately, for most of what I would like, I believe it would
> require WingIDE to support the use of IronPython. Is this accurate?

What do you mean by 'for most of what I would like'? Anything in
addition to the two points above?

> And if WingIDE did support the use of IronPython would it make what
> you are doing easier or possibly unnecessary?

The PI file mechanism is how Wing provides autocomplete - I've just made
it work for .NET types, so this *is* Wing supporting IronPython. You can
use Wing scripting to integrate other tools into Wing - see the example
script I provided for running the current file with IronPython.

You might also want to integrate the IronPython debugger that Harry
Pierson has been working on:

http://ironpython-urls.blogspot.com/2009/04/further-adventures-of-debugger.html

The other possibilities are:

* Integrated IronPython shell - the Wing team are reluctant to do this
unless they can port the *whole* debugger across. Shame. ;-)
* The debugger - impossible at the moment because of limitations in
IronPython, which may be addressed in IronPython 2.6 (where we also get
profiler support). After that it is still a lot of work and so I'm not
massively hopeful of seeing it in Wing any time soon.
* Test support - Wing has great integrated testing support. It would be
nice to see that work with IronPython. (It may do if you set IronPython
as the project interpreter - but as that breaks the shell I don't do it
and integrate testing myself through the Wing scripting API.)

Thanks

Michael Foord

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/