[wingide-users] Re: Project specific Python Executable default search

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Apr 29 10:55:42 MDT 2009

Vania Smrkovski wrote:
> So Michael, what page in "In Action" talks about how you work around
> this in Wing?  :-)

I didn't cover it in the book. I figured that configuring different IDEs
for working with external tools was out of scope and could easily burn a
whole chapter... I did send an email or two about it recently though. ;-)

> I've got IronPython installed on my dev box at home.  And VS2008.  Are
> you saying to just create a batch file that calls the IronPython
> interpreter and passes in the .py file?

Yep - pretty much. My Wing script (for Windoze) does something *like*
(mine does a bit more for finding and running the *unit test* for a file):

import wingapi
import os

from wingutils import spawn

def custom_execute(app=wingapi.kArgApplication):
    wingapi.gApplication.ExecuteCommand('save-all')
    editor = app.GetActiveEditor()
    filename = editor.GetDocument().GetFilename()
    directory = os.path.dirname(filename)
    env = app.GetProject().GetEnvironment(filename)
    cmd = env.get('COMSPEC', 'cmd.exe')
    argv = [cmd, '/c', 'ipy.bat', run_path]
    spawn.win32_start_process(cmd, argv, env=env, child_pwd=directory,
new_console=True)

The batch file ipy.bat (which must be on your path somewhere) pauses
after execution.

> Also, haven't got to the page on this topic, either, but....  Do I
> need to make changes on my web host to get IronPython to work?  I keep
> seeing references in the book to the idea that the Python files are
> not "compiled".  So I'm confusing myself trying to parse that out.

I'm afraid I didn't write the chapter on ASP.NET - because I don't know
anything about the subject...

Probably best to send a separate email with this question.

> Book is an excellent resource, by the way!

Thanks

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/