[wingide-users] How-to for IronPython/Wing?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Apr 23 07:30:43 MDT 2009

Vania Smrkovski wrote:
> Was it my delusional imagination, or did I not read in some email that
> there was already the beginnings of a how-to on coding for IronPython
> in WingIDE.  The good Michael Foord tells me that he is able to (and
> prefers) using Wing over Visual Studio.
>
> I looked for it on http://www.wingide.com/doc/howtos but didn't see
> anything.
>
> I'd just get IronPython in Action now rather than later, but I
> understand it doesn't cover Wing in it.
>
> Anyone have any links in the meanwhile?

The general HOWTOs still basically apply to using Wing with IronPython.
Don't set your interpreter in the project settings to be ipy.exe though
because you lose the interactive shell inside Wing (feature request!!!!).

This means that you need external tools to run your tests, launch your
application, but using the Wing scripting API or the OS tools to
integrate these tools into Wing is easy. I've added creating a HOWTO to
my list of things to do.

One of the thing already on my list is generating the PI files for the
commonly used parts of the .NET framework so that you get autocomplete
for .NET types. It's easy to do (although I will need help adding the
metadata so that Wing can know the return types), it's just not
something I've done yet.

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/