[wingide-users] Can't attach debugger to remote process

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Apr 8 08:14:25 MDT 2009

Daniel Tavares wrote:
> Yes, I can connect to port 50016. I've checked the firewall and it's not
> blocking anything.
>
> I tried starting the debugger by importing wingdbstub, then calling
> wingdbstub.debugger.StartDebug(), but the import fails. I get an error
> saying 'module' object has no attribute 'kEvalError'.

Is this the first time through or the second+ time?  It may be the
environment is clearing out modules but not unloading them.  The
kEvalError value is something in a 'constants.py' module that
should load and remain the same.

One idea is to look at sys.modules and perhaps clear out those
loaded by our debugger before doing 'import wingdbstub' again.
I'm not sure off-hand if that will work, but it's what I would
try next if I'm right about this being an issue the 2nd+
invocation.

If it's doing this on the first invocation, then it may be
something in a custom import hook is preventing proper load,
or an earlier error that you didn't see is causing failure
during import.  You may want to set kLogFile to some actual
file and not stdout in case some of that is being swallowed.

Do you know if this is CPython or Stackless Python in
BigWorld?  That may also have some impact, although so far
it seems like a more general failure.

Please let us know if none of this helps.