[wingide-users] Detecting File Encoding

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Apr 1 21:59:29 MDT 2009

Hello guys,

I wonder if Wing could do a better job of detecting UTF-8. I just opened
a text file with a UTF-8 encoding and Wing displayed it using my
preference default (Mac-roman which I have now changed) which mangled
the non-ascii characters.

As in general, a file that successfully decodes with UTF-8 *is* UTF-8,
it makes sense to try this *before* the default encoding.

In addition it would be nice to be able to modify the encoding used on a
per file basis - I just a file displayed incorrectly as Mac-roman (my
default). In order to change it I had to change my global preferences
and re-open the file. Is there a better way to do this for displaying an
individual file that may differ from the default?

Michael Foord

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/