[wingide-users] Re: wingide-users Digest, Vol 53, Issue 6

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Sep 10 13:46:16 MDT 2008

Marc A. Murison wrote:
> I, too, run into this behavior.  Here's how you can reproduce it (on my
> Windoze XP box, anyway):  First, convert a script file to 4-space "Tabs
> Only".  No need to save to disk.  Then go to any function definition and
> try to insert a docstring using double quotes.  Upon typing the first
> three dquotes, the document will all of a sudden convert to 8-space
> tabs.  Upon typing the closing three dquotes, it converts back to
> 4-space tabs.  For example,

Thanks, I've reproduced this now and we'll see what we can do to fix it.
  For those interested in the details -- a second triple quoted string
is needed later in the file to reproduce it, e.g.

def foo():
     """ blah
     pass

def bar():
     """ a
         string with space indents """

While the file is in this state, the next code line after foo()'s doc
string is '      string with space indents', which begins with 8 spaces.
  At this point, Wing detects the mixture of tabs & spaces and forces
tab size to 8 so that it's visually clear that a tab will be interpreted
as 8 spaces by the Python interpreter.

Wing could possibly not make the switch if some or most of the lines in
a file aren't parsable, which is usually the case when there's
mismatched """ strings as there are above.

Cheers,

John