[wingide-users] Re: wingide-users Digest, Vol 53, Issue 6

Marc A. Murison murison at alpheratz.net
Tue Sep 9 21:25:46 MDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 11:00 AM, <wingide-users-request at wingware.com> wrote:

> From: Wingware Support <support at wingware.com>
> Subject: Re: [wingide-users] tabs keeps converting
> To: johnf <jfabiani at yolo.com>
> Cc: wingide-users at wingware.com
>
> johnf wrote:
> > I'm starting to get bugged by wing changing the tab/space settings while
> I'm
> > editing a script.  For example I was about to comment out a section of
> code.
> > The normal tab/space setting that I like is 4.  When I selected the
> section
> > and commented it the entire script changed from 4 to 8.  Why I have no
> idea.
> > And then just as suddenly a script I'm editing will change back to 4 from
> 8.
> > I'm not touching the convert button or doing anything special.
>
> Could you send us an example of this along with how to reproduce it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

I, too, run into this behavior.  Here's how you can reproduce it (on my
Windoze XP box, anyway):  First, convert a script file to 4-space "Tabs
Only".  No need to save to disk.  Then go to any function definition and try
to insert a docstring using double quotes.  Upon typing the first three
dquotes, the document will all of a sudden convert to 8-space tabs.  Upon
typing the closing three dquotes, it converts back to 4-space tabs.  For
example,

#This is fine
def foo():
    pass

#This switches to 8-space tabs
def foo():
    """blah blah blah
    pass

#Now it goes back to 4-space tabs
def foo():
    """blah blah blah"""
    pass

Oddly enough, single quotes enclosing the docstrings don't do it for me, and
it also doesn't happen if the file is "Spaces Only".  There may be other
ways to trigger this behavior -- I'm pretty sure I remember it triggering
while commenting out something several days ago, as johnf saw -- but the
above in particular is 100 percent repeatable for me.  Hope this helps!

--
Marc A. Murison
murison at alpheratz.net
http://murison.alpheratz.net/

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
Benjamin Franklin, An Historical Review of the Constitution and
Government of Pennsylvania, 1759