[wingide-users] Name completion on .NET and COM objects

Wikström Sven sven.wikstrom at scania.com
Fri Oct 10 06:39:06 MDT 2008

Hi.

We're currently evaluating Wing IDE Professional 3.1.4-1 (rev 18789), and so far it seems as a big step up from old Pythonwin.

I have an issue with name completion on COM (win32com) and .NET (Pythonnet) objects. Completion works on Pythonwin but not on Wing. While Pythonwin lists all available attributes on these objects, Wing only shows the COM attributes i.e not the COM objects own attributes. Same applies to .NET object.

Ex. for COM late binding:

>>> import win32com.client
>>> excel = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application")
>>>
>>> # Pythonwin lists all available attributes when
>>> # hitting the "." after "excel"
>>> #  <here>
>>> #    |
>>> #    v
>>> excel.Application()
u'Microsoft Excel'

>>> # Using Wing you only get what seems to be COM low-level stuff.

Ex. .NET through Pythonnet

>>> import clr
>>> import System
>>> # Pythonwin lets us e.g select Math and PI.
>>> # Wing displays nothin...
>>> System.Math.PI
3.1415926535897931

NOTE: Its only the name completion that fails in Wing. Typing for instance "System.Math.PI" as above, returns the magic number PI from .NET.

Is this an unsupported and never gonna support feature in Wing, or have I just failed to setup Wing correct?

Greatful for any input.

Thanks!

/Sven